Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tangled in your own thoughts



I was talking with some studio mates today about how I want to do Op Ed work, but have to make some examples that show how my work translates to black and white. So in an hour and a half I made this.

Thursday night I went to the SVA Theater, and saw a lecture given by Dash Shaw, a young comics/illustrator/animator who had some interesting things to say about his process. Actually he worka the same way I do for the most part. The only difference is that I am using the polygonal lasso tool to cut and build my piece where he took a cue from old school animators. Instead of piecing it together, why not build the image like an animation cell. One layer is all the paint, one layer is the line. Simple and fast.

I tried doing that with this piece and it turned out quite successful I think. It's just funny that I never thought of making pieces in this way sooner. I saved atleast an hour or two on the piece putting it together this way.





Detail

No comments: